Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TRS TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.EM

Hi. I was thinking about this recently. its a fairly simple concept, but basically, I was wondering what the implications might be if you were to use a TS mono plug with the TRS socket of a headphone output. I figured you are essentialy bridging one of the channels striaght to ground, which can't be at all good :? .

I've done it myself, using mono guitar type cables to connect a stereo headphone output to guitar pedals, and it doesn't seem to cause trouble. Any thoughts on this one?

Hi Dr. EM,
Headphones outputs from big amps usually have about a 180 ohm resistor in series to reduce the power to the headphones. If you short the output the resistor will get pretty hot if the amp is near full power.

If you short the output of a little Walkman I don't think it would be a problem. :lol:

Dr.EM said:
Hmm, its the output of a big keyboard. It would easily go loud enough to be extremely painful to use. However, if I were only running it at 20% power output, then it might be ok?

It's not a problem, it's designed to be used like that!. As already suggested, there will probably be a current limiting resistor feeding the socket - probably designed to provide a standard 600 ohm output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back