Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transmittin data from an electronic meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_pal

m workin on a project in which i require to get data from an ordinary electronic energy meter and then send it to a micro controller for further processing. After that i need to transmit it on the gsm network.
i need help with the first part. the ic being used in the meter is Teridian 71M6521FE-IGT. i need to get the reading somehow from it.can i do it using the UART ports available, or shud i get the readings just before they're being displayed on the LCD.
I need help urgently...thankin in anticpation...

Is this a school or work project? It sounds like it if you need help "urgently."

It depends on what resources you have available. I did not look up the spec sheet for your IC, but I'm guessing it is an analog output. If you have the time to add circuitry to convert it to a digital signal, that might help keep signals within a range that you can interpret in your circuitry. If you need a digital signal, the LCD IC is not a good place to get them. You would have to go back to the IC that tells the LCD IC what to display, assuming they are different ICs.

its the same IC.....it is an SoC, has within itself a microprocessor, flash memory and all...after doin digital processing on the incoming analog data from the power supply and the current transformer, it calculates energy, power, and displays these on the LCD directly conncted to the IC...what i need is to take the reading of the energy and power and transmit it further to a microprocessor....what i can't figure out is from where to intercept this reading...?
would be grateful for ur help...

You need a datasheet for your IC. Search the internet for one and provide a link here if you find it. I tried searching, but did not find one immediately, so it may be hard to find.

i've attached the data sheet...kindly lemme know anything that mite be helpful....
Thanks for givin time...

Attachments

• datasheet.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 269
Hope it's not your house meter, they have tamper tags on them and you can get your service cut if the power company comes by.
You can buy electrical meter transmitters that are externally optically coupled to the meter. They count the LCD flashes.

No, its not my house meter....m using it solely for this purpose...we're doin it as a project so using an electrical meter transmitter mite not be feasible...if some interception point for the readings could be suggested, would be grateful...

Last edited:
Well you could try putting a logic probe on the UART. See if there's any activity. Kinda dangerous to be probing around a disassembled hydro meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back