Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer coupling for HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaibhav Birit

Have a look at the first two stages of an HF transmitter below which are coupled by Transformer Coupling

Attachments

• coupling.gif
    coupling.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 822
There has to be enough signal at L2 to turn on Q2. If L2 has too many turns, the loading on L1 might kill the oscillator. Otherwise, the turns ratio is not critical. I think 1:1 or 2:1 would work. If it were me, I would put a coupling cap and resistor to ground on the base of Q2.

The resistor controls the drive level to Q2. If the resistor is too large, Q2 output will have a small signal. You would have to experiment to see what value is best. Driving Q2 hard into saturation would not be good.
The way it works, is the coupling cap charges up when the base-emitter conducts, so the next alternation only drives the base enough to compensate for the charge lost thru the resistor.

Russlk said:
The resistor controls the drive level to Q2. If the resistor is too large, Q2 output will have a small signal.

what am i missing here? you said that the larger the resistor, the smaller the output signal. isn't it the other way around? if the resistor is a small value, then wouldnt it ground the base of Q2, resulting in a smaller output? please shoot some holes in my theory so i can learn :lol:

The output is smaller with a large base resistor because the coupling cap charges up, putting a negative bias on the base. With 1 meg base resistor in the simulation, the base voltage barely gets up to 0.8 volts; but when the base resistor is 10K, the cap discharges more and there is a larger slug of base current and larger output.

Attachments

• 1meg.jpg
    1meg.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 697
  • 10k.jpg
    10k.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 760
sometimes i feel like kicking myself, but it is physically impossible. i forgot that its a common emitter configuration. thanx though :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back