Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transform spec 10VA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGCB

I have a humidifier on my furnace and it is inop this year due to no transformer output. The spec on the body says 120pri, 24VAC sec and 10VA. I have located several replacement transformers but they are rated in amps (I.E. 1.0 amps, 2.0 amps). What does the 10VA rating mean? Thanks Aaron

I have a humidifier on my furnace and it is inop this year due to no transformer output. The spec on the body says 120pri, 24VAC sec and 10VA. I have located several replacement transformers but they are rated in amps (I.E. 1.0 amps, 2.0 amps). What does the 10VA rating mean? Thanks Aaron

hi,
The VA rating is the product of the Secondary current and Voltage,,, 10VA/24V = approx 0.5A.

A higher rated VA will be OK.

Last edited:
BTW, 40 VA ratings are very common because of the use in furnaces. Also some of these transformers are available in an "energy limiting" design. They will withstand a short on the output with no damage. An example is: **broken link removed**

Thanks. I found one exactly like came out from a friend who has a HVAC buisness. It was new and free! My house is humidifying as I write. AND I learned something to boot! Aaron

Cool. VA is the unit for reacive power. If sizing a generator for a motor load, it must be considered otherwise the motor won't start.
Because of the motors inductance, it draws a spike of current (I) which requires a V*I amount of power when starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back