Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Theory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this is in the wrong place in advance.

I am studying some basic theory but have encountered a problem that I can't seem to solve. It is about calculating current across R1 in series with a diode wired in parallel with a resistor R2. I have been given the values of Vs = 10V, R1 = 10K, R2 = 1k, and it is a silicon Diode (normally 0.7 Vd). However I have been advised that with a supply voltage of 10v or higher to assume that the diode has no effective voltage drop.

Following the equations of :-

Vd = R2 x I2 to find I2
Vr = Vs - Vd
Vr = It x R1 to find It
It = I2 - Id to find Id

I cannot get my answer to match the given one.

I need to rearrange Vd to I2 = Vd/R2 or 0.7/1000 or 0.7ma
Vr = 10 - .7 giving Vr = 9.3v
It = Vr/R1 giving 9.3/10000 giving It = .93ma
Id = It - I2 = .93 - .7 = .23ma

This is correct, but assuming no drop the calculation fails as Vd is zero, can anyone help? Im confused

I think you have it right and you're done. What's the problem?

Next time, put up a schematic with your quanties (I2, It, etc) clearly labeled.

You did everything correct except for a general case you should first check that the resistor divider ratio with the applied voltage yields a high enough voltage across R2 to cause diode conduction voltage to occur first and clamp the voltage across R2 at 0.7 vdc.

Ok, first of all thanks for the help and advise, secondly, I think i must be missing something simple because if assuming no drop across my diode I can't find I2 using this method as I have no value to fit in the equation

i.e. Vd = 0, so I2 = Vd/R2 is a fail
Vr = Vs so 10v (no drop)
It= Vr/R1 or 10/10000 = 1ma
Id = It - I2 which fails because I have no values for Id or I2 this is where I am stuck, basic current division in a 2 resistor parallel circuit uses I2 = (It)(R1)/(R1+R2), giving .9ma
This would then fit the equation giving Id as .1ma, the only trouble is the answer I am given is .3ma, can anyone point out where I have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance

If I've understood your circuit correctly then the answer you have been given (Id = .3mA) is wrong! If you assume there is no voltage across the diode (i.e. diode short-circuit) then the diode current is 0 and the voltage across R2 must also be 0. So all you can calculate is the current through R1, which will be approximately the current you originally calculated with Vd = 0.7. In other words, the assumption simplifies the calculation of the R1 current at the expense of accuracy.

This is the diagram I have for reference
leezygeezer-albums-variety-simple-circuits-picture55699-current-across-diode.html

hmm image doesn't show up, ill have to work on this a bit more !

Last edited:
Assuming VD=0 makes the question trivial. Before banging my head any further, I'd get clarification from whomever told you that.

Having seen your circuit confirms that I did understand it correctly. The answer, therefore, is as in post #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back