Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tach LED Bar....little different than most

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think each of the 10 pins coming off of the LM3914 could run 10 LED's? Would there need to be a transistor there? Then I could just change the voltage reference to match what 1000 RPM = in volts? So each time it got high enough (1000 RPM) the next pin would turn on the next set of LED's.

Each output of the LM3914 will drive 1 LED on average so you'd still need a transistor or MOSFET per output to drive a bank of 10 LEDs per output.

Ok I have that, so the output of the F-V to the input of the LM3914 and then from those outputs to a transistor to a bank of 10 LEDs. The only thing I would need to figure out how to do is adjust it so it turns on the next bank every 1000 rpm. Is that easily done?

Its all in the maths from now on.

To be honest, from your questions it appears your level of electronics knowledge would make this quite a difficult starter project for you.

Worth having a play with it though as its only a few ££/$$ worth of bits.

I think I have everything except how to adjust where it turns on the next level.

Like I said..I usually just build whatever is specified. This is the first thing I have tried to actually build myself. Thanks for your help.

You can't set the individual points but you can set the start and end points and the rest inbetween are linear on the 3914.

Like I said- grab one and have a play with it,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back