Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch mode power supply sensitive to vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

2camjohn

Hey guys.
Been a long time..

A few months back I bought one of those ridiculously cheap SMPSUs from ebay.
**broken link removed**

Well it took 2 months to arrive and it was damaged slightly in transit.
But it worked as advertised!!!

Well it did at first.. recently its been cutting out when you move or vibrate it.
Which isnt ideal because its powering a CNC vertical mill thats very loud and vibratey (?).

When you give it a bump it often cuts out, then comes back on if you move it slightly.
Strangely when its in this condition, if you unplug the PSU from the mains, the output comes back on momentarily.

After ruling out the external wiring and systems, today I opened it up expecting to see a bad connection or component somewhere.
But no joy. Many of the components are soldered in wonky which hurts my OCD but that's about all I can see.

Nearly all issues with SMPSUs online seem to be related to the filter caps. But this problem is different.

Does anyone know what could cause a SMPSU to become susceptible to vibration? Apart from the obvious poor soldering / connections?
Ive been tracing things with my meter looking for bad solder joints but they all look and measure fine.

I can get pictures of the PCB if it helps, but everything look good inside.

If someone could help narrow it down or point me in the right direction that would be really helpful.

Cheers
John

The ferrite core of the transformer could have a hairline crack. Or a pcb trace could have a crack. I'd be looking for trace/joint damage around any relatively heavy component (the most vulnerable if the smps has been knocked about in shipping).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back