Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

Hi, I need a new soldering iron <died of old age>, and I figured that since I got good answers here before, I jolly well ask for advice for soldering stuff too?

My basic question is, since I dont have tooo much moneys, even though I dont mind saving / spending, what should I get?
Should I get:
A basic controlled little station with turny knob
A digital system with little turny knob
A system with both iron and hot air
Whatever else that comes to mind, be creative... :lol:

Ok, seriously now, what I need to do is work with those tiny TQFP packages, or whatever they're called as well as normal electronics stuff.
I'm just wondering whether I should bother to go all the way financially, or not???
What tyes of tips are best? (small ones hey?)

I don't work with TQFP but as for the soldering iron, I'd go for the non-digital temperature controlled. I bought one at our local Canadian Tire (I guess you probably don't have one there :lol:) for about $30 CAN though it was on sale. It works great and you can find them in just about any electronics store.

Chris

Hot air is definately required if you ever intend to REMOVE a TQFP without damaging it.

Exo said:
Hot air is definately required if you ever intend to REMOVE a TQFP without damaging it.
Well that's a problem right there, 'cause these hot air thingies are quite expensive arent they?

Clyd3 said:
Exo said:
Well that's a problem right there, 'cause these hot air thingies are quite expensive arent they?

Not really!, why would you want to remove one?.

A temperature controlled iron would be nice, but not essential, you can buy ones with temperature control built-in the handle (no need for large soldering stations), I've been using Antex ones for many years and have been very happy with them!.

Currently I use Antex 45W temperature controlled irons both at home and at work, both have a screw adjustment on the handle for temperature, but my home one is 230V and the work one is 24V, fed from an isolation transformer.

good point, for now I dont need to, but I will need to do so frequently in a few months or so, but that's off topic...
Do the digital ones give feed back of the current temperature or is it just one of those
Could you please try to give me this temperature
situations???
I suppose the temperature is not really the tip temperature anyway

Clyd3 said:
good point, for now I dont need to, but I will need to do so frequently in a few months or so, but that's off topic...

Best avoided if possible! - are you upgrading a range of equipment or something?. There's also a BIG difference between 'removing' and 'replacing' a chip - which are you wanting to do?.

Do the digital ones give feed back of the current temperature or is it just one of those
Could you please try to give me this temperature
situations???

Digital soldering stations would normally give a digital reading of the temperature, which is probably the ONLY digital thing about them 8) bear in mind, as below, the reading is likely to be a fair bit different than the actual tip temperature.

I suppose the temperature is not really the tip temperature anyway

Temperature measurement is normally in the element, it can't be in the bit as the bit is removeable - Pace soldering stations have an offset adjustment where you enter the specific value for the particular bit you're using. But it's still only a 'guess' really!.

well, yeah, it sorta replacing, so will i need hot air then?
for now, I'll probably just get something cheap?

Clyd3 said:
well, yeah, it sorta replacing, so will i need hot air then?
for now, I'll probably just get something cheap?

If 'replacing' you don't need the old chip to survive, this makes it FAR easier to remove - personally I cut all the pins off with a sharp craft knife, remove them with the soldering iron, then 'knock' the body of the old chip off with a screwdriver and small hammer (the chips are usually glued down excessively during manufacture!).

Whatever you do, DON'T attempt to glue the replacement down - there's absolutely no need or reason, the glue is only used by the robotic manufacturing process to allow flow soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back