Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solder stencil from 3 mil laminate sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

I just spent a couple hours refining using these common 3mil laminator pouches to make solder stencils for SMD work. I used a full spectrum 5th gen, 40W hobby laser @ 50% raster pwr and 50% raster speed, to produce a 5.5" x 3.25" Stencil with 0805 and SOIC as the smallest pitch. Laminate sheet laid direct on the honeycomb platform to provide fume clearance. Well...fumes were hard to detect, if any.

Makes the stencil in 6 minutes and works great. Direct print from EAGLE CAD cream layers (solid), no gerber or pdf steps required. I find it more economical on solder paste consumption to place a blob on pad concentrations and spread from there, leaving large fill areas untouched.

Can you share some photos. I'm interested.

Sure:
stencilapplied.jpg
solderapplied.jpg
soldered.jpg
All soldered via hot air, no bridging probs or tombstone events....much better results than toothpick applied paste!
Stencil is reusable, and it's very cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back