Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SCR heater control with 0-5V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I was thinking of modifying a toaster over to do SMD reflow boards automatically, with controlled temp rise, dwell times, all that. I'd use a PIC microcontroller and probably a convection oven to mix the heat more thoroughly. I might put a thermocouple inside that would measure board temp more directly, also had a neat idea to use an infrared thermometer thermopile to measure the temp optically (ideal!).

So some of the specs I looked at give me the idea I might not get a well controlled temp with just on/off switching of the heater. It might be switching on/off way too often to get smooth temp control. So I was thinking maybe I want to use an SCR to control how of the waveform it conducts across for a smooth, continuous power control.

OK, so I know the SCR needs to trigger at a certain part of the positive and negative swings and by its nature will stay conducting until the next zero crossing. But, I don't know how to make this happen with a 0-5V signal off a PIC. I assume this should be isolated via optoisolators from the main's ground. Does one optoisolator go from the power main voltage back to the PIC to give zero point detection or what? Anyone got applicable schematics?

Even if the heater might work ok with on/off modulation, I'd still like to know how to do this.

You could try the MOC3063 or similar, the zero crossing is all built in and the LED can easily be controlled by the PIC.

You could try the MOC3063 or similar, the zero crossing is all built in and the LED can easily be controlled by the PIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back