Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rewiring motor - what gauge wire?

Hi
I tested my CNC spindle with the speed cranked all the way up. At the time it didn't occur to me it could spin out of control. Silly I know. We live and learn! Now the insulation is damaged. You can see the copper wire.

Since I have damaged the insulation in multiple places and the wires aren't long enough, I thought I will rewire the motor. I have got the motor apart but am unsure what gauge wire it uses. The wire I have appears to be a little on the thin side.

I have attached an image of the wire to this post. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_172434508.jpg
    PXL_20230805_172434508.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 100
Hi
I tested my CNC spindle with the speed cranked all the way up. At the time it didn't occur to me it could spin out of control. Silly I know. We live and learn! Now the insulation is damaged. You can see the copper wire.

Since I have damaged the insulation in multiple places and the damage is quite far up the wire. Also the wires aren't long enough so I thought I will rewire the motor. I have got the motor apart but am unsure what gauge wire it uses. The wire I have appears to be a little on the thin side.

I need to purchase the same gauge wire because of the pre drilled holes on the plastic mount which holds the carbon brushes.

I have attached an image of the wire to this post. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_172434508.jpg
    PXL_20230805_172434508.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 107
If you have access to a micrometer you can measure the wire diameter, then use look-up tables (plenty on-line) to find the wire gauge.

Thhn. Is silicone wire good enough? I struggling to find thhn cable in a size 17awg?
I'd suggest sleeving silicone wire, or use conduit. It's excellent for flexibility and high temperatures, but not necessarily all that good for long term abrasion resistance in something that could be vibrating.

We use a lot of silicone coated fibreglass sleeving & PMA conduit for that type of thing.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with Tri-rated wire & sleeve / conduit or polyurethane insulated cable.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back