Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ramp generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
problem is if I use a comparator that detects it is charged and so discharges after a fractional discharge it will stop as it will go under the comparators threshold, basicall solving the problem would mean making a descrete version of the 555 IC timmer so i might as well use that. I treid doing a simulation with electronics workbench but it just jammed I tried using a current source to charge the capacitor. perhaps someone could give me a diagram of one that will feed from the positive supply, ie the capacitor is connnected to gnd annd the current source.
unfortunately I have very little equipement bread boards are unobtainable and even matrix board take time to arrive and costs an arm and a leg it takes me weeks to put things together and is very difficullt to experimment as everything is soldered on the fly

Last edited:
There are lots of ways to make Pulse-Width-Modulation and a 555 timer can be used for a few of those ways. The simplest way is to use two steering diodes and a pot. Another way is by using the 555 as a triangle wave generator and a comparator. It doesn't need a linear ramp.

If you want a linear ramp circuit then look at the datsheet of the LM555:

Attachments

• LM555 ramp generator.PNG
    LM555 ramp generator.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 713
that is almost a current source. why a change in power will change I. To make one just replace the resistor across the voltage to base with a zener and the I will remain constant as zener voltage +Vbe then you have a real current source it can only change with within those terms.

raybo said:
that is almost a current source. why a change in power will change I. To make one just replace the resistor across the voltage to base with a zener and the I will remain constant as zener voltage +Vbe then you have a real current source it can only change with within those terms.
It has only 5V for a supply, probably from a voltage regulator.
The voltage at the base of the transistor doesn't change, and is only about 1.7V.
Zener diodes with a voltage of only 1.7V are not available.
The transistor is a PERFECT current source. Look at how straight the ramp is on the 'scope trace.

Last edited:
raybo said:
you never heard of diodes not as good as zeners but close enough
The voltage divider across the regulated supply is better than diodes.

just get a life and every body else a break will you i am tired of your picking BS because you have nothing in your head and nothing to contribute.
people ask for help here this is not a pissing contest.

raybo said:
just get a life and every body else a break will you i am tired of your picking BS because you have nothing in your head and nothing to contribute.
people ask for help here this is not a pissing contest.
Raybo, you sound just like the Ray I shot down in **broken link removed** after you sniped at me there with a similar comment. Funny, I never heard from you again there.

Last edited:
and here it is simulated on electronics workbench 8 I just have to see what effect the comparator will have on it but doubt much thankfully version eight is very realistic

Attachments

• saw tooth.gif
    saw tooth.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 164
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back