Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio Rallies

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuffock

Has anyone noticed the life cycle of radio rallies? It goes a bit like this:
A radio club decides to have their own annual rally, and announce as much.
The first year it's pretty good, if small.
The second year is absolutely brilliant, lots of people, lots of bargains to buy.
The third year is pretty good, but with a lot of deja-vu.
Fourth year, crock of ****, same old traders, same old junk.
crock
crock
gone
Sound familiar?

Yes.

The question is where does the problem lie?

Deja-vu, same old traders? I think the problem here is that in any one area there are only so many who have the time/inclination/stock etc to go to these events and sell stuff.

A couple of times I have set up a stall at one of the local radio club junk sales, just to sell some of my own stuff which was surplus to requirements. I have also noticed a tailing off of interest in just the way you describe, the last one I attended, I think I just made about £10 after petrol and table costs were take into account.
One conclusion is that I did not have what people wanted to buy, on the other hand, there were not many punters there to buy the stuff.

Solution? Sorry I dont know what it is.

JimB

I did the Newbury rallie this year, it was the first rallie I had been to in around 20 years. I used to go to Longleat every year before this. I was shoked by the absence of named tradiers, it was a car-boot sale. I was able to go home without any money it must be said, but still not a bit like the rallies of the 1980s that I was used to.............

Newbury rally always was a boot sale, and advertised as such, so can't be blamed for being one. This year was an improvement, just. But I still go in the hope of finding myself at the first or second one again.
Dunstable was worth going to, it's big enough to find something useful in ,if you spend all day!
Frome was a crock.
That leaves the McMichael rally and Flight Refuelling. I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back