Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming error- pic16lf84a

Status
Not open for further replies.
futz said:
Oh, you just hit a sore spot for me. Please don't recommend the K150. Hardware-wise it's not so bad, but the company is a mess. There are no updates. The programmer is useless. Can't program most of the chips I want to use. No debugging. And it's horribly slow! How do I know? I own one of those pieces of crap. It sits in the bottom of a junk box now.

Heh heh, well this was my first programmer after the JDM so to me at the time it was a miraculous programmer that programmed every PIC I had :) Now, it also sits in my electronics bin, but I never had problems with it, though it did end up in the bin a few years ago once it got replaced by other programmers :)

Norlin said:
Heh heh, well this was my first programmer after the JDM so to me at the time it was a miraculous programmer that programmed every PIC I had :) Now, it also sits in my electronics bin, but I never had problems with it, though it did end up in the bin a few years ago once it got replaced by other programmers :)
Have to agree about that. :) When it was new it was really nice. It was still well supported at the time. But now... Junk. :(

With the ICSP programmers, do you have to supply power to the chip in the circuit? or could i just connect an icsp connector to a zif socket addressing the 5 pins for programming and program it like that and then move if over to the target circuit, or, does it have to be in the target circuit with the minimam basic circuit attached to it to program it ? (crystal, pull resistor, ect.. )
thanks

Last edited:
joshua17ss2 said:
With the ICSP programmers, do you have to supply power to the chip in the circuit? or could i just connect an icsp connector to a zif socket addressing the 5 pins for programming and program it like that and then move if over to the target circuit, or, does it have to be in the target circuit with the minimam basic circuit attached to it to program it ? (crystal, pull resistor, ect.. )
thanks
Most programmers can supply modest amounts of power to a target circuit. If your circuit needs too much then you have to power it separately. The programmers sense whether the circuit is powered or not and turn their target supply on/off accordingly.

Why on earth would you want a ZIF socket? Occasionally they're useful (if you need to program a batch of chips with the same program or something), but the beauty of ICSP is that you don't have to use that nasty thing. Don't forget that when you're writing programs and trying things you're going to be reprogramming the chip hundreds or even thousands of times. You definitely don't want to be prying that chip in and out of the circuit every time. Wears out the pins and they break off. It's tedious (I've done it) and very slow.

For everyday use just put the chip in the target circuit and put a ICSP connector onboard. When you make a change to the program, a few keypresses or clicks and the chip is reprogrammed, ready for test. Easy and quick that way. Have a look at a few of the breadboard setups and schematics on my site to see how the connector is wired.

Last edited:
What i meant was, with the serial programmers i know that they needed the 14 volts from the serial port to pull the programming pin and change the status of the pic so that it can be programmed, i know that with usb the max youll pull is 5, so you have the 5 pins going to the micrcochip, from a usb programmer like **broken link removed** this one, wouldnt i need to supply the 14 volts to the chip in my circuit to program it, or would it just be the usb cable to the programmer and the programmer to the chip.

thanks

joshua17ss2 said:
What i meant was, with the serial programmers i know that they needed the 14 volts from the serial port to pull the programming pin and change the status of the pic so that it can be programmed, i know that with usb the max youll pull is 5, so you have the 5 pins going to the micrcochip, from a usb programmer like **broken link removed** this one, wouldnt i need to supply the 14 volts to the chip in my circuit to program it, or would it just be the usb cable to the programmer and the programmer to the chip.
Nope. The programmers have a charge pump onboard to make the 13 volts necessary to put the chip into programming mode. No extra power supply necessary. Just plug it into the USB port and you're good to go.

so i think i will order this programmer: **broken link removed**

it should support what i need,
any suggestions, or warnings agianst the pic kit 2?

josh

joshua17ss2 said:
so i think i will order this programmer: **broken link removed**

it should support what i need,
any suggestions, or warnings agianst the pic kit 2?
I haven't heard any complaints about it. That's a PICkit 2 clone - not the real thing. But as long as it's made the same it should be fine. Price is good.

If it turns out it's no good you're not out too much $$ anyway.

Thats what i was thinking to, and it come with 2 different cable for programming, i do love my options. i saw that it was a clone that dosent bother me both my lcd tvs are copies of major brands and they just keep plucking along just fine.
ive orderer from the guy before as well the stuff is nice and well packaged.

I am gonna try and list some of the pics i have for sale, the 16f and a few of the 18s. any suggestions for listing them on ebay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back