Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmer for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_h

I want to get started with microcontrollers, and want a cheap programmer to learn with.

I found his on the net and wondered if anyone could tell me whether or not it would be any good? http://www.256.co.uk[/url]

sam_h said:
I want to get started with microcontrollers, and want a cheap programmer to learn with.

I found his on the net and wondered if anyone could tell me whether or not it would be any good? http://www.256.co.uk[/url]

It's a nice little programmer, made by MicroChip - the manufacturers of the PIC, and it fully connects to their MPLab software.

It's only problem is the very small range of PIC's it supports, but their next programmer up is a great deal more expensive.

You can get programmers a lot cheaper that do a lot more than the PICKit 1, have a look at the details on my site listed below. You can get a nice cheap kit for the P16PRO40 from various places, Quasar Electronics at **broken link removed** is one, and only £11.95 as a kit - you can use my free software with it, or IC-Prog.

But there's nothing wrong with the PICKit 1, in fact I keep meaning to buy one to play with!.

great!!!! welcome aboard.

which microcontroller are u going to start with?

i would recommend that u start with the PIC. but the choice is yours

go to http://www.winpicprog.co.uk

u can find great PIC tutorials there and a simple and easy programmer for the PIC.

ive recently built the programmer at the above mentioned site, so if u need help with it plz ask.

I think PIC (how's i pronounced by the way? P-I-C or PIC) is going to be the best bet, I hopefully going to go to universty to study electronics but i see electronics as a hobby rather than a career path. So any advice you can offer will be greatly appriciated.

I think PIC (how's i pronounced by the way? P-I-C or PIC) is going to be the best bet, I hopefully going to go to universty to study electronics but i see electronics as a hobby rather than a career path. So any advice you can offer will be greatly appriciated.

its just called PIC (as in PICK) :)

its good to hear that u are going to study electronics. good choice!

but electronics is more than just a hobby. it has unlimited applications. the horizon of electronics is very huge. u should reconsider about chosing your career path. living with electronics for your whole life is the best thing that can happen to you.

I started off PIC on a 100% DIY basis from the programmer to the development board. I'm using an ICDv1 programmer flashed with CCS's firmware.
There are certain considerations which you should note for the programmer.

1. An ICSP programmer is a MUST if you are doing PIC develoopment. It is probably cheaper too since you do not need a ZIF socket.
2. All programmer's need to be powered, one way or another. The main thing about PIC programmers is that it needs to generate 13V to kick the PIC into programming mode. My programmer only needs a 5V external power input to work, which I conveniently drew from the target circuit through the ICSP cable, saving me the need of a external power adaptor.
3. Programmer's usually interface to the PC thru serial, parallel or usb ports. USB is of course the best, but I'm quite comfortable with serial ports as well.
4. One minor point I'm happy with using CCS's firmware is because their uploading program allows you to run/stop the program using software control. With the ICD2, I still had to manually disconnect the ICSP cable in order for the PIC to start running.
5. Lastly, CCS's uploading program is user-friendly enough for me. Programming often takes only 2 clicks of the mouse. Running the program takes another click :p

In all, I'm very satisfied with my programmer, since there is no need at all to touch the entire hardware setup once it's finalized, as everything is software controlled. Of course, I still went to the trouble of powering down the circuit whenever I'm not using it. :lol:

checkmate said:
1. An ICSP programmer is a MUST if you are doing PIC develoopment. It is probably cheaper too since you do not need a ZIF socket.

It's hardly a 'MUST' it's simply a matter of personal choice, ICSP can be useful, but it requires the target system designing to accommodate it, and it uses up resources on the target system - which, depending on the PIC in question, might be more than you can afford.

Personally I've never found occasion to use it, I prefer to leave maximum versatility on the target board - and it's also simpler!.

2. All programmer's need to be powered, one way or another. The main thing about PIC programmers is that it needs to generate 13V to kick the PIC into programming mode. My programmer only needs a 5V external power input to work, which I conveniently drew from the target circuit through the ICSP cable, saving me the need of a external power adaptor.

Yes, all programmers need some source of power, but two 9V batteries is all you need - it's quite simple. There are many varieties of programmer, but the David Tait based parallel port designs combine reliability and simplicity, and are also cheap to make or buy.

3. Programmer's usually interface to the PC thru serial, parallel or usb ports. USB is of course the best, but I'm quite comfortable with serial ports as well.

Interesting idea?, why should USB be the 'best', it's certainly the most expensive - but both serial and parallel are just as fast (in fact WinPicProg with a parallel port programmer will probably be faster), and generally far cheaper. As I see it the only advantage of USB is that it gives the potential for powering the programmer.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's hardly a 'MUST' it's simply a matter of personal choice, ICSP can be useful, but it requires the target system designing to accommodate it, and it uses up resources on the target system - which, depending on the PIC in question, might be more than you can afford.

Personally I've never found occasion to use it, I prefer to leave maximum versatility on the target board - and it's also simpler!.
I use ICSP for development. Once the design and firmware is done, I have another socket board specially for doing larger-scale productions.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Interesting idea?, why should USB be the 'best', it's certainly the most expensive - but both serial and parallel are just as fast (in fact WinPicProg with a parallel port programmer will probably be faster), and generally far cheaper. As I see it the only advantage of USB is that it gives the potential for powering the programmer.
Space is a premium here where I work. The general idea is cable clutter. Besides, USB ports are usually more accessible than the serial port. Lastly, if the programmer could be powered through another power source, be it the usb port or the target circuit, all the better, saves the need of another adaptor and one less cable.

Anyway, it's all a matter of preference. What I'm suggesting here are some minor points that will affect your programming experience.

Cheers!

Space is a premium here where I work. The general idea is cable clutter. Besides, USB ports are usually more accessible than the serial port.

come on!!! u dont have to take 9 cables from the serial port to the programmer. both the serial and USB cables are quite simillar in size. its just that the connector for the serial cable is a bit bigger. the same is for the parallel port cable.

and the power cable is just one more cable. i dont think thats much of a problem.

anyway as u said, its just a matter of choice.

the programmer which i built is the Ozipic'er **broken link removed**

Nigel's website also has the layout and schematic of this programmer.

and for all u ICD fans go to **broken link removed** for the clone of the ICD2. its cheaper than the one available from microchip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back