Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programming!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

OK all I thought I would spread the wealth and let a few ppl here know abt somethin gI have come across

Progamming PIC's in Python!!!

If you do not know what python is, it is a fantastic language (described as a self-commented language). It is extreamly good and fast in writing something.

Some argue that since it is an interpreted language (ie a script-language) it is slow. This isn't really true since the majority of the back-end to PYTHON is written in C, thus you could concider PYTHON to be more of a wrapper language

Anyway enough of the sales blurb

http://pyastra.sourceforge.net/

EXAMPLE
As Python said:
while(1):
PORTA[0] = 1

for i in xrange(0,255):
pass

PORTA[0] = 0

for i in xrange(0,255):
pass

As Assembler said:
;
; Generated by pyastra 0.0.1
; infile: led_blink.py
;

processor 16c432
#include p16c432.inc
_lshift_left equ 0x20 ;bank 0
_lshift_right equ 0x21 ;bank 0
_rshift_left equ 0x22 ;bank 0
_rshift_right equ 0x23 ;bank 0
_mul_left equ 0x24 ;bank 0
_mul_right equ 0x25 ;bank 0
mul_cntr equ 0x26 ;bank 0
mul_res equ 0x27 ;bank 0
_div_left equ 0x28 ;bank 0
_div_right equ 0x29 ;bank 0
div_cntr equ 0x2a ;bank 0
div_buf equ 0x2b ;bank 0
_mod_left equ 0x2c ;bank 0
_mod_right equ 0x2d ;bank 0
mod_cntr equ 0x2e ;bank 0
mod_buf equ 0x2f ;bank 0
_pow_left equ 0x30 ;bank 0
_pow_right equ 0x31 ;bank 0
pow_res equ 0x32 ;bank 0
pow_buf equ 0x33 ;bank 0
pow_cntr equ 0x34 ;bank 0
stack0 equ 0x35 ;bank 0
_i equ 0x36 ;bank 0
stack1 equ 0x37 ;bank 0
stack2 equ 0x38 ;bank 0
stack3 equ 0x39 ;bank 0
stack4 equ 0x3a ;bank 0

org 0x0

goto main

org 0x5
main

label0
movlw 0x1
bcf STATUS, RP0
movwf stack0
bcf STATUS, RP0
btfsc STATUS, Z
goto label1

bcf STATUS, RP0
bsf PORTA, 0
bcf STATUS, RP0
clrf _i
movlw 0xff
bcf STATUS, RP0
movwf stack2
bcf STATUS, RP0
movwf st
label2
bcf STATUS, RP0
movf stack1, w
bcf STATUS, RP0
subwf _i, w
bcf STATUS, RP0
btfsc STATUS, Z
goto label3
bcf STATUS, RP0
btfsc STATUS, C
goto label3

label4
bcf STATUS, RP0
incf _i, f
goto label2

label3
bcf STATUS, RP0
bcf PORTA, 0
bcf STATUS, RP0
clrf _i
movlw 0xff
bcf STATUS, RP0
movwf stack4
bcf STATUS, RP0
movwf stack3

label5
bcf STATUS, RP0
movf stack3, w
bcf STATUS, RP0
subwf _i, w
bcf STATUS, RP0
btfsc STATUS, Z
goto label6
bcf STATUS, RP0
btfsc STATUS, C
goto label6

label7
bcf STATUS, RP0
incf _i, f
goto label5

label6
goto label0

label1

goto $

end

Sure you can write for PIC's in C but C isn't really a nice language (yes alot better then ASSEMBLER) but it is prone to coding errors and length (PYTHON isnt)

Also you can generate Verilog (and to some extent VHDL) using python
**broken link removed**

PYTHON is general is extreamly useful to me (Gentoo user as well as using it to replace MATLAB) but since I code in VHDL in between using a soldering iron the myHDL looks very interesting, but I can across the PIC thing since a board a collegue is working on will have a PIC so I am going to hi-jack it

Styx said:
Some argue that since it is an interpreted language (ie a script-language) it is slow.

Interpreted languages ARE slow, by the very way they work - however, the piece of code you posted ISN'T interpreted, it's compiled.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Styx said:
Some argue that since it is an interpreted language (ie a script-language) it is slow.

Interpreted languages ARE slow, by the very way they work - however, the piece of code you posted ISN'T interpreted, it's compiled.

Yer I know, What I was pointing out was PYTHON in this case (as well as the HDL case) is being used as an intermediate language (so you can take advantage of that language's extension) THEN the actual byte-code/hex file is generated

Yer interpreted languages are slower then compiled but my point with python is it is no where near as slow as VB or Matlab and in the age of 3GHz processors you wont even notice it

I like it, thought I would pass on

Styx said:
Yer I know, What I was pointing out was PYTHON in this case (as well as the HDL case) is being used as an intermediate language (so you can take advantage of that language's extension) THEN the actual byte-code/hex file is generated

I'm rather confused about what you mean?, a language is either compiled or interpreted, in this case it's compiled (as machine code is generated), intermediate steps really make no difference - it's a compiler and that's it.

Yer interpreted languages are slower then compiled but my point with python is it is no where near as slow as VB or Matlab and in the age of 3GHz processors you wont even notice it

I'm still confused?, do you mean PC implementaions, or PIC ones?, again, in the PIC case it doesn't apply as it's compiled.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Styx said:

I'm rather confused about what you mean?, a language is either compiled or interpreted, in this case it's compiled (as machine code is generated), intermediate steps really make no difference - it's a compiler and that's it.

I'm still confused?, do you mean PC implementaions, or PIC ones?, again, in the PIC case it doesn't apply as it's compiled.

my fault grouping a general-python with python-PIC

Python-PIC.
Yes this is showing compiled BUT the intermediate language is python.
If you wanted you could write for PIC in HEX, but it is more convinient to write in C (and compile it down). PYTHON is doing just that in this case

PYTHON
in gerneral PYTHON is an interpreted language and as a result has a performance hit (in terms of speed) over compiled languages (like C,C++,...) but in this day and age of fast computers such a performance hit (outside of CORE-OS systems and number-crunching programs) is negligable. Thus interpreted languages (JAVA,.NET,MONO,PYTHON) have come into existance offering a higher-than-C langage to make producing programs easy and fast.

The fluidness of the PYTHON-language has been taken advantage of in the Python-PIC and Python-HDL such that you can manage your code in a user-friendly language (a restricted version of python) and when you are ready "compile" it down to HEX (for PIC) or VERILOG (for FPGA)

Styx said:
Python-PIC.
Yes this is showing compiled BUT the intermediate language is python.
If you wanted you could write for PIC in HEX, but it is more convinient to write in C (and compile it down). PYTHON is doing just that in this case

I think it's perhaps your semantics that are confusing me?, you keep calling the Python 'intermediate' - intermediate from what?, the result is machine code, but what's before the Python to make it intermediate?.

DANG (not the word I said).. They fit PYTHON in a PIC.. Looks like I might have to switch back from Atmel to the MicroChip (hehehe).

Looks like ASM to me..

Pyton compiler to PIC ASM would be worth a look.

I think Unix is great, but hate python and perl type languages, would rather use ASM. But that is cool. Python to PICasm.

No, nbobody fit Python on a PIC, this is just a PC program for compiling Python to assembly. It's not like a Python interpreter is running on the PIC

Sorry Peepsalot..

I was joking, it is a Python to PICASM program. You would have put and OS and Python on the PIC's little memory space for it to run Python.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back