Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC + L293D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmymna

I am designing a speed controller circuit for a cordless drill and have circuit but not sure if my circuit is correct.

The PIC provides PWM to the L293D which can be in forward or reverse (I haven't added the switch for that to the circuit yet)
Would this circuit work for a 12v motor in a drill or would it require transistors / MOSFETs due to the L293D only being able to output 600mA?
If this wouldn't work can anyone suggest would the L293D could be replaced with / added to the circuit?

Thanks for any help given.

Attachments

• circuit_193.jpg
    circuit_193.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,495
For a start you need to measure the current the motor takes, under a variety of conditions - including stall conditions with the battery pack you intend to use. The stall condition current will probably be limited as much by the battery pack as the motor, and will certainly be well into double figures.

A 600mA IC is way too puny, you need to be looking at fairly hefty FET's, the reversing in cordless drills is usually done by a DPDT switch, rather than an H bridge - which would cost a lot more to do, and lose extra power in the extra FET's.

Yeah, you need a heavy MOSFET output stage. Drills take something like tens of amps under load.

The L293D isn't appropriate for this circuit. With a reversal switch, you only need a single N-channel MOSFET, you'd just hook the PIC's PWM pin to the gate and you're done. If you're doing an H-bridge, you need 2 P-channels & 2 N-channels. You generally turn on one of the P's with a fixed voltage and feed PWM to one of the N's.

Thanks for the help :D , I'll start redesigning my circuit later today and let you know what I come up with. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back