Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC: CA 7Seg from 12V

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantto

Hello!

In order to save regulator dissipation, would this work? To turn segments on and off the TRIS register would be used. Doesn't that turn the pins from sink/source to high impendace and vice versa?

Anything I didn't think of?

Attachments

• ch.gif
    ch.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 341
hantto said:
Hello!

In order to save regulator dissipation, would this work? To turn segments on and off the TRIS register would be used. Doesn't that turn the pins from sink/source to high impendace and vice versa?

Yes, the PIC pins have protection diodes from the pin to Vdd and to Vss, so the bottom of the 330 ohms will never go above 5.7V, so all segments will be permanently lit. You could do it with open-collector driver transistors between the PIC and the resistors.

Nigel Goodwin said:
hantto said:
Hello!

Yes, the PIC pins have protection diodes from the pin to Vdd and to Vss, so the bottom of the 330 ohms will never go above 5.7V, so all segments will be permanently lit. You could do it with open-collector driver transistors between the PIC and the resistors.

Very true. Thanks for pointing that out 8)

For a certain amount of LED current, the dissipation has to go somewhere. If it is not in the regulator, then it will be in the transistors, resistors or zener.

So in a sense reducing dissipation is not possible. Or one can try PWM on the output PIC pins.

eblc1388 said:
For a certain amount of LED current, the dissipation has to go somewhere. If it is not in the regulator, then it will be in the transistors, resistors or zener.

So in a sense reducing dissipation is not possible. Or one can try PWM on the output PIC pins.
Hantto's original idea was to use 12V instead of 5V on the display, thereby bypassing the regulator. He was going to do this by PWMing the PIC outputs, but Nigel pointed out that they will conduct at 5.7V even when they are tri-stated. I don't think he expects to eliminate the power dissipation - he just wants to keep it out of the 5V regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back