Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 16F84 tutor board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank

Im desperately searching for a circuit diagram fro a tutor board...a la...logicator, that woks with a 16F84/A PIC chip...8 output 5 input??? for a project for my electronics pupils at school. Can anyone help or direct me?

Hank said:
Im desperately searching for a circuit diagram fro a tutor board...a la...logicator, that woks with a 16F84/A PIC chip...8 output 5 input??? for a project for my electronics pupils at school. Can anyone help or direct me?

You would be better off using the modern 16F628 rather than the old 16F84 series.

A PIC doesn't have specific input or output lines, they are selected within the software (with an occasional exception). Using a 16F628 gives you 16 I/O lines on an 18 pin chip, using an internal 4MHz oscillator.

A tutor board can have anything you like on it, try having a look at my tutorial series where I use modular boards built on veroboard - being modular makes it far more versatile.

The thing is we use an early version of logicator to program...its easy for the kids to pick up....hence the older chips....education funding in this county is next to nothing. I have made a copy of an original logicator PCB to make up copies of the tutor boards which the kids use and they have added simple modules to them for inputs and outputs for GCSE projects. I need now a copy of the schematic for their folio work.
Any other help would be gratefully recieved.

Hank said:
The thing is we use an early version of logicator to program...its easy for the kids to pick up....hence the older chips....education funding in this county is next to nothing. I have made a copy of an original logicator PCB to make up copies of the tutor boards which the kids use and they have added simple modules to them for inputs and outputs for GCSE projects. I need now a copy of the schematic for their folio work.
Any other help would be gratefully recieved.

Well you haven't filled your location in, so we've no idea what country you might be in?. As you mention GCSE presumably it's the UK?.

If you've got the board, just draw the circuit out - there can't be a great deal to it - and the pin connections for a PIC are well known, and available on the datasheets.

What exactly is it you are looking for?
In my school we have a simple development board with a ZIF socket for the PIC with the resonator and 4k7 resistor. It also has connections for port A across the top of the PCB and for port B across the bottom with pull down resistors and LEDs on each pin which are useful for seeing which pins are high and low. A similar circuit would most likely work for a PIC Logicator program, though never having used one before I couldn't say. Is the sort of thing you are looking for?
If not just ignore my ramblings :p

That sounds like something close...the ones we have have 5 press switch inputs (0-4) and one reset...then 8 (0-7) LEDs mounted on the boards. The chips are programmed via a seperate unit which recieves the downloaded programmes from logicator. The boards are produced by logicator and TEP I believe....we just copied their PCB. Im no expert on electronics, but just enough to get by....thats why i need the circuit diagram.

Hank said:
That sounds like something close...the ones we have have 5 press switch inputs (0-4) and one reset...then 8 (0-7) LEDs mounted on the boards. The chips are programmed via a seperate unit which recieves the downloaded programmes from logicator. The boards are produced by logicator and TEP I believe....we just copied their PCB. Im no expert on electronics, but just enough to get by....thats why i need the circuit diagram.

It's a very simple circuit, the details of the chip connections are provided in the logicator documentation. Use that and draw the circuit out yourself, it's very easy to do - and is educational and good practice. The documentation also gives examples of interfacing LED's and switches, so it even shows you how to draw them.

Presumably it's for a DT class? - get all the class to try and draw it out, and pick the one which is best (or take the best bits out of them all).

All you need is a sheet of A4 and a pencil!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back