Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Philippines Micro Controller? (beginner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_chor

can you help me to decide what should i use in programming microcontroller? i have no idea of this things and i want to know what are the things needed so i can make my own circuit! im residing in the philippines, and i dont know where to begin with my project.
1.) what are the chips or ics which is the cheapest here in philippines?
2.) what programming language should i use? which is easy to use. :)
3.) how can i transfer my program from my pc to ic/chip

thank you!
email: go_chor@yahoo.com

go_chor said:
can you help me to decide what should i use in programming microcontroller? i have no idea of this things and i want to know what are the things needed so i can make my own circuit! im residing in the philippines, and i dont know where to begin with my project.
2.) what programming language should i use? which is easy to use. :)
3.) how can i transfer my program from my pc to ic/chip

I can't advise you about the Philippines, but the MicroChip PIC is the most popular micro-controller, and probably one of the cheapest.

With any micro-controller it's very important that you understand it's assembly language, even if you later move to a high level language you can't use it effectively without a good knowledge of the underlying machine code.

So I would advise using the MicroChip PIC, and writing in assembler, my tutorials will help with some ideas.

To program the chip you require a programmer, both hardware and software are available from my site.

AVRs are also good and cheap. Programming software (basic) is free. The programming hardware can be made from stuff in your junk box (well, at least the stuff in my junk box). Your initial outlay is basically the price of the micro.

All of Nigel's comments also apply, about assembly.

j.

Hey, I'm a resident of the Philippines too!

I would say Zilog encore chips are the cheapest, most readily available and have good support. Microchip PIC is available too but with less support. Good worldwide internet support would more than compensate for that however.

2.) what programming language should i use? which is easy to use.
Should use assembly.

3.) how can i transfer my program from my pc to ic/chip.
Zilog chips can be preprogrammed where they are sold like Alexan. The cheapest ones are one-time programmable only and so I would not recommend. I would recommend going with the PICs because DIY programmers are plenty. You can also buy kits here for them too. However, they are slightly more expensive that Zilog's.

Zilog is not so common.
It probabbly will be difficult for you to get someone to discuss about the problem in Zilog.
I think PIC support is worldwide, and its free, from other programmers.
One word came across my mind all of suden - LINUX.
kekeke.. i see PIC as linux in microcontroller.
While motorola and 8051 is more like a Microsoft Windows - expensive development tools, less support from public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back