Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pager Motors: Removing the offset weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I'm looking for an effective way to remove the offset weights from a set of 1.3volt pager motors. Moreover, I need to do this through means that don't involve damaging the motor or the weight. I've tried pulling and bending them apart by hand, but so far those methods were worse than pulling teeth. I only have a minumal supply of tools (utility knife, needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, etc.) but I might be able to access larger tools if needed. Any ideas?

cutting

try cutting them use a suitaboe hacksaw its easy to use and u will have to hold the motor in a support of some kind so that it doesnt move while u cut
good luck with that

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

Going off topic a bit here, but are there any good vendors that carry gears for pager motors--or just for small motors in general? The gear material doesn't matter too much, but I'd prefer plastic over metal.

gears

well here in our country we can easily get small gears and stuff from stero repair shops and old stero system are an excelent source of gears and motors VCRs are good too
good luck

Alright, I just bought another pager motor pair and I was wondering what the best type of driving MOSFET would be. I saw this type of question come up less than a week ago in a similar thread, but I can't remember the thread name or the part numbers involved. For now, I have two IRF 531 N-channel types that are rated 14A and 60V each. I can't help but get the feeling this might be overkill, since these motors will be running off pulsed 3.3volts. But being new to MOSFETs I'm only guessing for now. Can anyone recommend any smaller type (maybe in a TI-92 package) or should I probably stick with what I have?

The load on these motors will be minimul because I'll probably have them geared down.

[edit]Correction: The MOSFET type is "IFR 531" not "IRF 531."

C'mon, someone's gotta know this one. :wink: If it helps, I also have a single IFR510 from Radio Shack which I haven't used yet. But I'm still looking for something in a lighter casing.

I'm also trying to come up with a way to allow for forware/reverse power. Is this possible with this line of MOSFER?

You might be able to cool the weight and the shaft with dry ice or something like that. If the steel shaft contracts more than the weight does when you freeze it, the weight should slip right off ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back