Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OrCAD PCB Editor vs Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knew the difference between OrCAD's PCB Editor and Layout. Their promotional materials don't help me understand at all what the difference is.

hello, i took a course for using the OrCad suite. i loved their simulation and circuit desiger, however i hated their PCB design program.. hope you won't spend a lot of money on this...!

I use OrCAD Unison suite right now (which means I use Layout). I was just wondering what PCB Designer is. Which PCB design program are you referring to? Layout or PCB Designer?

I started out using Orcad back in 99 or so... I think I did my first 5-10 real PC boards using Capture + Layout. I think that was the basic configuration. before they did the Capture CIS stuff. I vaguely remember "Allegro PCB Editor" was a extra option that cost more money - It might have been a third-party product at that point.

Orcad's always been pretty well known for it's schematic side - I think it was pretty common for the circuit designer to use Orcad Capture, do a schematic, and then toss a netlist "over the wall" to the layout person. It was pretty common for the layout program to be a completely different software vendor. Doesn't make too much sense for us "1 person design teams" though...

The obvious thing is to look at the price tags - one of the packages is probably has a couple extra numbers added to it. Chances are that they probably also have a lot of extra routing algorithms and UI to deal with really insane things like routing the BGA packages - the things tend to have double-digit numbers of layers and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back