Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie Out of Nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor_Rose

For lack of anything else to do with my time & having seen the I Robot movie (not as bad as I had thought it was going to be...) I have decided to fill my time by making a robot. The only thing that I know about robots is what I have read in the Asimov's books. Advice, Please. Thank you in advance.

Because I can.

Asimov wrote about a wide variety of "robots" it would help if you can narrow down just what functions you want it to perform.
Now there is plenty on the web for present day robots and I will not waste my time pasting links for you. What I will suggest is that if you want to make any advances in the field... study biology or at least go read
"The Bi Centienial Man" remember that even Von Neumann got his idea for replicating machines from nature. The man machine interface is another area were much is still to be done... see if you can find a copy of "Cobra" by Timothay Zhan or perhaps "Breaking Strain" by Paul Preuss
of course being able to jump a two storey building, run at forty kph,with an anti armour laser buried in your left leg etc etc ... let alone the implanted computer taking control of the power servo's under certain conditions , well it aint for everyone

Mankind will allways be better than robots because we can be built using unskilled labour :lol:

Science fiction aside , the future is a little closer than you think.
This brief has been kicking around the military labs of the USA
for some years now and goes back to the walking machines of the late sixties,see photo.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, are developing a self-powered exoskeleton.

Potential functions include allowing dismounted soldiers to carry much heavier loads - such as weapons, other equipment and wounded troops - than is possible with muscle power alone. The Berkeley Lower Extremity Exoskeleton (BLEEX) consists of mechanical metal leg braces that are connected rigidly to the user at the feet and more loosely elsewhere.

BLEEX is designed so that the wearer becomes an integral part of the exoskeleton and requires no special training to use it. More than 40 sensors and hydraulic actuators form a local-area network for the exoskeleton that functions much like a human nervous system. The sensors, including some that are embedded within the shoe pads, constantly provide the BLEEX central computer with brain information so that it can adjust the load based upon what the human is doing.

Attachments

• mech.jpg
    mech.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back