Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new here have a question about LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You see that little tag that says "For indoor use only?"

I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but cars are usually OUTSIDE.

1 little puddle, and your experiment is over.

You will need to hot glue every bulb base where the wires connect to water-proof them.

Turn this death trap off when pumping gas. You are not listening to what you are being told. You are only hearing what you want to hear.

Let me put it to you straight. You screw this up, they BURN. Burn = Fire. Fire + Pumping gas = a failed experiment because you are being cheap.

10 dollars in LEDs. 3 dollars in shrink wrap. A dollar or two in resistors, And some decent outdoor rated automotive wiring.

For under $20 You can use 5mm LEDs, much brighter, safer, and properly wired.

Take a few more minutes and you can use the car battery and a switch.

Its your car. Do it right.

Use the indoor Christmas lights for Christmas decor.

"Hey son, I just bought some Christmas lights!"
"Cool Mom, Im gonna hack them up and put them on my car!"

wow dude thanks of being a dick you dont even know what im going to do

first underglow is ILLIGAL on the street
second my car is a show car so there are no puddles
this is all for looks when im parked at a car show i see no point in spending anymore money than i need to just to get some stupid glow from under the car

im just trying to figure out how to make this work to get a few extra ooohs and ahhhs at shows thats all im not going for a ricer fast and the furious thing here

Last edited:
Your welcome.

As for me not knowing what your doing...that makes two of us.

Are you going to TOW the car to where it will be shown?

You are not being honest.

Now give your mom her lights back.

I can totally see, having a show car and all, not wanting to spend the money on it.

Last edited:
well since theres about 30 grand into the car as far as mechanical and show it may seem like 200 for stupid lights is pocket change but at 23 years old i need to put my money to better use (for the car and no i dont spend all my money on the car ive been working on this since i was 15) and yes the car does get trailered everywhere and yes it does get driven but on the track (hence why i dont want fragile neon tubes at 100+ mph the car vibrates a little) not on some crappy ass pothole rd with puddles the rims tires and suspension alone are probably worth more than your whole car

but come on now can we get back on focus if theres a problem with them being on the outside ill find a place for them on the inside i just want to know what it takes to make it work

Last edited:
OK way back when I suggested maybe using 30 Ohms. Now I am not sure but I think (operative word is think) Radio Shack sold 10 Ohm maybe 10 watt resistor. You could place 3 of them in series and get 30 Ohms and see if it works with the string. Hell, you figure that they ran on 4.5 V with a simple series resistor so just leaving them as is, increasing the resistance with a higher voltage should work. Worst case scenario is a $7 mistake. :)

The problem with ordering from a major parts house is you need a few resistors at a buck or two each and pay $12 on S&H.

Ron

but wont i just fry the new resistors too
No.
If the car battery is 13.5V then the three groups of LEDs with their 10 ohm resistor all in series share the 13.5V so that each group gets 13.5V/3= 4.5V which is what they are designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back