Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help with program logs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancid rock

hey all,

the computer takes logs of what programs have been run and when

and also when its been turned on (times) and off etc.

how do i delete/change/view these???

(this is nuthing to do with the internet history etc.)

any help would be greatly apreciated thankyou,

What OS are you running? If windows then goto control panel then Administrative tools then event viewer.
EDIT: The event viewer will also show warnings errors etc.

another thing...

how do i completely remove all traces of something thats been deleted?

without completely wiping the comp clean?

is there any programs for this?

I'm not sure how to do it if you've already deleted it? All of the programs that do this over write the same space on the hardrive with different patterns of 1's and 0's (digital ya know). Do some googling on the Gutmann (I think this is spelled right) technique. It over writes like 35 times with different patterns.
Edit: Check this out https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

Last edited:
Spybot Search and Destroy has a secure file shredder. You can choose how many times you wish the program to over write the data. However I don't think it uses the Gutmann technique, which makes the data unrecoverable supposedly. Obviously, if you have a lot of data to destroy this will take a VERY long time and cause a considerable amount of wear and tear on the harddrive. Certainly the average person should not have to go through these extreme measures to delete data, unless you plan on selling or giving your pc away to someone who has some very expensive equipment, a lot of time, and a strong motive to find out what is on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back