Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multiple 555 servo control question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrout13

Hi, I'm new to this site.

I am building a robotics controller for part of a junior design project at university. I am studying mechanical engineering, and would appreciate any input to this question:

Anyway, my robot has 4 servos. I am using potentiometers from a model airplane controller to adjust pulse width for speed and direction control of modified servos. Anyway, I plan to use one 555 timer in astable mode setting a clock frequency of 50hz, triggering monostable 555's which set the pulse width. I'm sure you are familiar with this type of application. On to the question:

Will it be okay to use a single astable 555 to trigger all 4 monostables, or do I need to set up an astable/monostable combo using a 556 chip for each servo? To reduce parts count and space in the controller, i'd like to use a single astable 555 and combine the 4 monstables on 2x 556 ICs. opinions will be greatly valued.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The only problem I see is running all four servos in lockstep (because the beginning of all four PWM pulses start at the same time) will put a big demand on the primary power source. It would be better to start each of the pulses staggered in time. I would be inclined to use a master clock source which runs at 4X 50Hz (200Hz) and then drive a two-bit counter (four states). Use the decoded states of the counter to begin each of the four PWM pulses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back