Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi-threading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ym2k

I am thinking to use pic 16f84a to make a dmx512 reciever. It is suppose to recieve signals from a differential bus transceiver and generate necessary output base on that signal. I am doubt if the pic can read and generate output at the same time? Is it able to do multi-tasking where it can read and write at the same particular nano/micro seconds? If not, any better solutions? Thanks....

depending on how fast you run the processor. If you run at 20MHz, it will do things within a microsecond. The same nanosecond is not possible. The granularity of the PIC is one instruction which will always take longer than a nanosecond.

Multi tasking

Multi tasking is not the correct word..

you just need speed then for the eye it looks like multitasking.

but a cpu can only 1 thing @ a time...

TKS

all the microprocessors and microcontrollers work by executing one thread at a time. the trick is to speed the process of execution of a single thread to such an extent so that it looks as if the microP or the uC is doing alot of threads at the same time.

so multi-tasking could be simulated on a micro by executing two things at very fast speeds. multi threaded processing is totally not the thing for a simple microcontroller. its quite a hot issue these days in the computing industry because Intel seems to be planning to start developing multi core processors which will handle more threads at a single time. but as i said that this is not the domain for microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back