Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mrfroggy321

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfroggy321

Am working with strings of leds, yellow and red. useing a power supply that I built useing a 317T voltage regulator. My problem is when I turn up the voltage to light up the yellow it literally smokes the red leds. My problem is that I need to build a dual voltage power supply, and I need to know what type of mini pot (5k) (as Digi-key shows a gazillion types) to use. Thanks

Welcome Mr Frog.

Have you got current limiting resistors in series with your LEDs.

Mike.

No resistors, want to stay away from them as there are so many leds and the number will vary from application to application. Thought it would be much simpler going with the 317T's Thanks

If you don't use current-limiting resistors with your LEDs then they will smoke and burn.
They are diodes (not light bulbs) with a certain range of voltages. Their current has a max allowed amount.

An LM317 can be made into a constant-current-source by adding a single resistor. Then it can light one string of LEDs.
An LM317 can be made into a voltage regulator and it can light many strings of LEDs if each string has its own current-limiting resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back