Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mod 5 counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital_geek

I am trying to build a mod-5 counter and need a schematic for it. Any help it would be appreciated. If possible a schematic using all gates not IC's.

I'll tell you how to do it but I won't give you the schematic.

You need either a decade counter or a 4 bit counter, either will work. Just use some logic to set the clear flag when you the number 5 shows up on the counter.

You can probably do it with less than 5 gates, its very simple.

I just realized a mistake above, since its a mod 5 counter, you want it to clock the reset at 5, but it will technically count to "5" but only for a split second. Just one of the many problems of being in the real world.

Sorry about that.

A 7490 is constructed from a divide-by-2 and a divide-by-5 counter. Download the datasheet and look for the internal logic diagram. It details how the gates are connected internally to achieve these functions. Also, the 74hc390 is similar, but it has two div-by-2 and div-by-5 systems inside.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back