Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max662 in programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentken

Has anyone used the Max662 in there programmer for MCLR?
I am looking for a laptop programer for latter upgrades.

Kent

kentken said:
Has anyone used the Max662 in there programmer for MCLR?
I am looking for a laptop programer for latter upgrades.

Kent

Assuming the MAX662 is used to generate the 13V MCLR/Vpp supply, I've seen a couple of programmers that use it.

It puts out 12v 30ma.
Is there anything else that could be a issue?
What ma is required for programming?

I have found that 12v is enof for my processors.

Why is the common 13v and not 12v?
Am I missing something?

Thanks
Kent

kentken said:
It puts out 12v 30ma.
Is there anything else that could be a issue?
What ma is required for programming?

It varies from processor to processor, the new ones take hardly anything, but even the old ones don't take very much - you could always try measuring it, I can't say I've ever bothered!. The biggest current is likely to be the Vpp LED.

I have found that 12v is enof for my processors.

Why is the common 13v and not 12v?
Am I missing something?

The spec from MicroChip is for 12V, but most programmers use 13V as it's usually more reliable - if your 12V rail is only 11.9V it might not work, but if your 13V rail is only 12.9V you've got plenty in hand.

I will see if they make one that puts out 13v. I think that I saw on that was variable up to 40v :?:

I gess I will try it, if it don't work, it don't work.
But if it does, it will be much easer then trying to use a external supply.

If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Thanks
Kent

Mine just runs on 2 9V batteries in series, giving 18Volt, wich goes trough an 7815, so i have a VPP of 15V... never had any problems with it and it's much simpler then using special chips to produce 13V

I thought of using that approch.
But I heard they have problems if the batteries aren't a full charge all the time.
So I wanted something portable, simple and compact.

I might re-think that design

Thanks
Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back