Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max 232

Status
Not open for further replies.

livewire_541

Hi everybody!

I was just examining MAX232's datasheet and I wanna ask something.

The chip has R1in/R1out, R2in/R2out, T1in/T1out, T2in/T2out, so does that mean I have two transmitters and two Recievers? 'cause I wanna interface the chip with a microcontroller Using serial output data (UART) and a wireless kit, so how is that possible ?

thx

I used to remember about this chip we interfaced with this chip via rs232 controller adaptor to the serial port.

As to your question how is it possible or pin outs I 'm not an engineer.

Yes, that's why it says "+5V-Powered, Multichannel RS-232 Drivers/Receivers" at the top of the datasheet. :)

EDIT: Although I think I may have spoke too quick. It looks like each line is independent, and you must pair two of them together.

Last edited:
Each line is independent. It's meant for implementing one of the other lines for hardware flow control, like RTS/CTS.

Last edited:
Hi everybody!

I was just examining MAX232's datasheet and I wanna ask something.

The chip has R1in/R1out, R2in/R2out, T1in/T1out, T2in/T2out, so does that mean I have two transmitters and two Recievers? 'cause I wanna interface the chip with a microcontroller Using serial output data (UART) and a wireless kit, so how is that possible ?

thx
There are 2 independent pairs of Rx/Tx transceivers, yes.
A MAX232 is only an inverter and level shifter. A wireless modem PROBABLY takes in 5v/0v logic levels of a microcontroller, and level shifting is not used. You'd need a MAX232 to change the levels to the RS232 standard used by a PC's serial port though.

Transmitting a wireless signal is more than turning a transmitter on and off with the level. Well, technically that'll produce some limited communication, but there are so many problems with it it's not a practical solution.

I've seen some guys who managed to send 8-bit data asynchronously without those RS232 chips... Here's a bit of a headstart.

Cheers.

Attachments

• PR16_DD.pdf
    653.6 KB · Views: 317
  • PR16RX.c
    2.5 KB · Views: 231
  • PR16_RF_RX_Schematic.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 254
  • PR16TX.c
    2.8 KB · Views: 252
  • PR16_RF_TX_Schematic.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 281