Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magician needs help building heating element

Magician007

I am looking to hide a heating device inside of a hat pin.

I’d like the tip of the hat pin to be able to ignite flash paper, which I believe lights at 150 F.

The battery and switch need to be small enough to be disguised by the design of the hat pin. Heres a picture for an approximate size.

If possible I’m trying to make the heating element able to start by a wireless remote which would be in my pocket.

I’ve investigated heating with nichrome but the batteries and the coil are both way too large.

Any ideas would be awesome and if someone is open to taking this on as a paid project too I would consider that! Thank you !!

Hi M,
Still on sparks! would a spark gap work?
I'm not sure how big spark could be produced, with small caps and timer etc.
If this is possible, a grain of something like gunpowder, would amplify the spark.
C

I just finish a string of calcs on the subject and the OP would need 400 joules to increase the temp of a 6 inch long and 1/8 inch wide stainless steel pin to 450 F.

this is not a solution but might help an engineer...

"which I believe lights at 150 F."

You can buy those long metal pin thermometers on ebay cheap . Temp ranges go very hgh on some of them. Heat one of these on a stove (no too much in the flame, just gentle) , and see exactly the temp you require. it will help an electronics engineer know what temp he or she needs to ignite the flash paper

as it will be the tip that you use, right? So you may need extra temperature to use a sharp tip? So this Temp info could be vital, early on.
Maybe it is just an idea in the making and you are after a general idea first, but thought this might help.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back