Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for PS2 gamepad protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,I would like to use a PS2 gamepad to control a few stuff I built for fun.A SONY gamepad has been disassembled and marks like GND,ACK,CLK,CS,DO,DI,VCC,7.5V were found on the PCB.This reminds me of serial buses as SPI,except for the ACK(acknowledge) wire.I don't think this protocol is kept confidential.But there's nowhere over the net that I can dig it out of either.Could anyone offer me a clue?Thank you.

I have a working PIC based interface to PSX controllers. The PS2 controller is the same as the PS1 / PSX controller. I'm sorry but I can't share my code, but I can help you out if you have any questions.

The document referenced above should have all the info you n need.

The controller pulls ACK low to acknowledge your CMD was received.

The Sony brand controllers work well at clock speeds slower than that used by an actual PSX system. However, I've found that MadCatz controllers will not work at a slower clock speed - you pretty much must emulate the exact timing of an actual PSX controller for them to work.

Someone had posted graphs captured by a logic analyzer detailing the timing between a PSX and controller, but I can't seem to find it. It was a German site.

Dan East

ChriX said:
I found this which might be of some help if you can decipher the ascii timing diagrams!

**broken link removed**

Thanks ChriX!This document is of great help to me.I gotta start studying it right away.You really helped a lot!

Dan East said:
I have a working PIC based interface to PSX controllers. The PS2 controller is the same as the PS1 / PSX controller. I'm sorry but I can't share my code, but I can help you out if you have any questions.

The document referenced above should have all the info you n need.

The controller pulls ACK low to acknowledge your CMD was received.

The Sony brand controllers work well at clock speeds slower than that used by an actual PSX system. However, I've found that MadCatz controllers will not work at a slower clock speed - you pretty much must emulate the exact timing of an actual PSX controller for them to work.

Someone had posted graphs captured by a logic analyzer detailing the timing between a PSX and controller, but I can't seem to find it. It was a German site.

Dan East

Thank you Dan,I think the site ChriX offered provides almost sufficient info for me.However I will inevitably encounter problems while I look deeper into it.And I will need your help then.You guys have been really helpful.My gratitude to both of you! :)

Dan East said:

They are not the same, the PS2 controller has pressure sensitive buttons, which may complicate things.

Hi all.I've managed building a PS2 slave with an ATmega8L.The SPI bus was implemented.

I had the AVR running as a normal pad with a PSX - USB convertor.It's really fun looking at the gamepad config window while pressing buttons on a DIYed board.I don't think I can find anything more interesting before I figure out how to build a USB pad. :)

Thank you guys for the info again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back