Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for good Robotics PhD programs in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I'm currently working on my masters degree in mechanical engineering at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee. I am researching schools, but the info can always be easy to miss. Right now one of my choices is Georgia Tech, and I'm trying to find some robotics PhD programs in New York City, though figuring out much about which of their schools has the robotics PhD program I've been hearing about is oddly hard. Anyway, if anyone knows about a good robotics phd program please tell me about it. I'm interested in automated manufacturing, medical robotics, ROV's and digital image correlation, to give you an idea what direction I'm looking for.

Sorry, I do usually call it mechatronics, but many people don't know what that is so I've gotten in the habit of saying robotics some times. Yes, I'm looking at doctoral ME programs at schools that have mechatronics as a possible focus.

Triode, I wish I had your problems...

Anyhow - if I were looking, both CMU and Stanford would be at the top of my list...

My problems? I haven't mentioned any of those.

I think I will apply at Stanford, it's a harder school to get into but it would be great.

My problems? I haven't mentioned any of those.

No, you didn't - that's kinda the point. If I were somehow granted a wish for any one thing, it would have to be an all-expenses-paid (including my current recurring bills like my mortgage, electric, etc - fortunately, though, I am debt free, other than the mortgage) chance to return to school, to get an advanced degree. I'm not sure what good it would do me, now that I am 38 - probably more than anything, though, maybe a chance to show myself I could do it. Much like you, my interests lie in robotics (and artificial intelligence).

All I'm able to do currently is learn what I can on my own, via books and the internet, among other sources.

I did sign up and register for this online "program", offered by Stanford:

**broken link removed**

I also signed up for the following program, but I haven't heard anything back on it:

http://www.ml-class.org/course/auth/welcome

Gotta see what's going on there this weekend. Both programs start on the October 10th; I had to buy a book for the AI class program, but the Machine Learning one didn't have any book requirements, thankfully (as you know, textbooks aren't cheap).

I hope I do well... :)

I think I will apply at Stanford, it's a harder school to get into but it would be great.

Good luck to you, then! Stanford not only has a great program, but also an interesting history when it comes to robotics and artificial intelligence (though so does CMU, and MIT, for that matter). If it interests you, you might want to research some of that history (I find the history of robotics, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and computing in general to be a very fascinating subject)...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back