Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM311 - Doubts over specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

h8null

This is what is given in the datasheet of LM311.

"They are also designed to
operate over a wider range of supply voltages: from standard
±15V op amp supplies down to the single 5V supply used for
IC logic."

I want to know if LM311 is capable of working with a +12V supply alone. Actually it seemed to be working fine in the circuit i made. I want to know the reason behind this. Help please?

h8null said:
This is what is given in the datasheet of LM311.

"They are also designed to
operate over a wider range of supply voltages: from standard
±15V op amp supplies down to the single 5V supply used for
IC logic."

I want to know if LM311 is capable of working with a +12V supply alone. Actually it seemed to be working fine in the circuit i made. I want to know the reason behind this. Help please?

According to the datasheet it should be fine. It will work with at least a 5V difference between the positive and negative voltage supplies, and can survive at most a difference of 30V between the positive and negative supplies (i.e. +-15V dual supplies). So 12V single-supply should be just fine.

Torben

Do pay close attention the the parameter called "Common Mode Range". It basically tells you what range your inputs are restricted to for proper operation given the values of the supply voltages. For 12V single supply operation I would make sure the inputs are restricted to [0V..10V]. You may be able to get away with one of the inputs going to the rail, but don't let both of them get there at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back