Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD wont power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyJoe

Hi

I am trying to test my 16x2 LCD display before i start connecting it to my MCUtoolstick. The LCD I have is FDCC1602B. http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/F/D/C/C/FDCC1602B.shtml

Its the 3.3v version. All i have connected is Pin 1(Vss)-Gnd, Pin 2(Vdd)-3.2V and I have pin 3(Vo)- Gnd. When i turn on the power it doesnt turn on, there is voltage at the terminals. But its gets warm and thats normally never a good sign.

I was expecting to get square blocks on the screen at full contrast. but nothing is happening. Is the LCD faulty (eventhough its brand new).

Forgive me if this is a very basic question, but I am new to this stuff.

Kind Regards.

Hi

I am trying to test my 16x2 LCD display before i start connecting it to my MCUtoolstick. The LCD I have is FDCC1602B. http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/F/D/C/C/FDCC1602B.shtml

Its the 3.3v version. All i have connected is Pin 1(Vss)-Gnd, Pin 2(Vdd)-3.2V and I have pin 3(Vo)- Gnd. When i turn on the power it doesnt turn on, there is voltage at the terminals. But its gets warm and thats normally never a good sign.

I was expecting to get square blocks on the screen at full contrast. but nothing is happening. Is the LCD faulty (eventhough its brand new).

Forgive me if this is a very basic question, but I am new to this stuff.

Kind Regards.

hi
The Pin2 and Pin3 voltages should be positive with respect to pin1 ,, 0V

EDIT: do you have Contrast potentiometer output onto pin3 .?? for Contrast adjsutment

Last edited:
Thanks for reply,

No I do not have a potentiometer output on Pin 3. From what I have read on the web is that if its connected to ground the contrast will be set to full. So I should still get something on the screen?

If thats not true then I will try connecting a potentiometer.

Thanks

Thanks for reply,

No I do not have a potentiometer output on Pin 3. From what I have read on the web is that if its connected to ground the contrast will be set to full. So I should still get something on the screen?

If thats not true then I will try connecting a potentiometer.

Connect a potentiometer, often shorting it to maximum gives no visible display.

Adjusting the pot (with nothing other than the power pins connected) should allow you to find a point where you get a single line of black characters, this is all you get if the LCD isn't been initialised. Once initialised - you should have a blank screen, with a cursor (if you set one).

Ok, thank you for your help, I will set it up with a potentiometer and see how i get on, ill keep u posted.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back