Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LC oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

evandude

I'm looking at this circuit for an RFID project:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/09/125kpowerosc4PDF.pdf

judging by the data on the PDF, it looks like it's been tested and everything, but it doesn't work in simulation for me... granted, I don't trust my simulator entirely, but still...

anybody care to offer any insight on the theory of operation? I want to at least get familiar enough with that to make changes if I can get it close to working...

Well, I can get it to oscillate in a sim with SwitcherCAD, but I don't have a model of 74HCU04. I did a best guess by using the behavioral inverter they provide.
I don't think the oscillation will be at the resonant frequency of the tank, because the phase shift at resonance is 90 deg. You would need another 90 deg. to add to the 180 deg of the inverter. I think it depends on the 470k-Cin time constant for some phase shift. The 5ns of the 74HCU04 adds a tiny bit. I think the tank will be off resonance. I got it to oscillate (simulated) at resonance by adding 50pF to GND on the input of the inverter.
One thing was baffling. If I used .IC v(out)=0, where out is the L-C junction, I got a different duty cycle from the inverter than if I omitted that initial condition.

evandude said:
what did you get for amplitude at the node between the cap and inductor? anything near the 100vpp indicated in the schematic?

Interesting.. that doesnt seem correct. If you assume it is running at 125kHz at 100Vpp, compute the impedance on the feedback to the inverter input, you will see that it feeds back too many volts that the inverter would clamp to the supply rail. I think it is supposed to be 10Vpk-pk. thos enumbers look alot nicer..
:shock:

Here is what I simulated. I think 100 ohms is too low for the output resistance, but I used this value because it gave me the highest p-p output. With R1=1k, the output p-p was about 55V. Note the 50pF cap on the input. I had to add this to get the circuit to oscillate at the resonant frequency of the tank.

Attachments

• series_lc_osc_waves.gif
    series_lc_osc_waves.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 512
  • series_lc_osc_sch.gif
    series_lc_osc_sch.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 561
  • series_lc_osc_fft_110.gif
    series_lc_osc_fft_110.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 517
Status
Not open for further replies.