Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

laser sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy004

Can anyone tell me how I can build a laser sight for my power tool similar to those that already have this feature.

Would'nt that just need a little spinning mirror , to give the illusion that the beam covers more space than it really does..

Remove the guts from one of those el cheapo laser levels that output a line (and they don't use rotary mirrors like a laser printer) and try mounting it in the right spot. Now for the list of problems:

1. Finding a line laser module small enough to mount where it has to be mounted for the line;

2. Powering the little guy when the saw uses either a battery pack or 120vac -- yes, a little battery would work, but now you have to switch it on and off ...

3. Making sure the module is so firmly mounted that you don't have to worry about it coming loose, catching a saw blade tooth and sending it at Mach 4 though someone's chest cavity;

4. Keeping all the sawdust out of the thing or making it really easy to clean;

5. Making the thing adjustable so that you can make danged sure that it's exactly parallel to the blade cut;

6. Realizing the problem with every single one of these "laser guided" marvels -- they aren't as wonderful as it they first appear:

Ever try to evenly run a pencil down a laser line and be consistent?

Change the blade to one with a different kerf and you're back to square-one for adjustment.

Hitting a pencil mark with a saw blade is one heckuva lot more accurate than deciding where that shimmering and dazzline laser line edge actually is, regardless of the tool manufacturer.

And a laser line is much thicker than a pencil line -- where are you going to cut?

I do woodworking for a living and I'll take a non-laser saw over a laser saw any day of the week. The only advantage that I can see for one would be on a circular saw ("Skil saw") when cutting sheet goods such as plywood for a bit straighter line to help you keep aim on the chalk line you snapped -- kinda like looking down the road a bit as you drive instead of the roadway right in front of the auto. Even then, a laser is nearly worthless if you're outside in the daylight where the sun washes it all away.

Dean

yeah thats where I wanted to add it to was my skill saw cirular. what if I can get a cheap laser level can I just get a laser light. How about those laser pointers will they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back