Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this capacitor bad?

edd111

I've been troubleshooting issues with my dishwasher, and after testing with another board, it turns out the original board (below) is actually functioning and the issue was with another part.

Does the below bulging mean the capacitor is bad and I should replace it, or is it possible that it's fine and I can leave it alone?

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't look bad to me, in the many thousands of faulty capacitors I've never seen a faulty one looking like that.

It looks fairly obviously that it's just the plastic covering on the capacitor that's been subjected to external heat and melted it somewhat.

Easy to check, just cut through the 'bump' with a sharp knife, and see if the can is bulging underneath - it's pretty well 100% that it won't be - but there's always that 0.000....1% chance :D

Dana's pictures are the classic examples of faulty sub-standard capacitors, although the one on the right may very well be faulty as well. Visual checks are fine, but only indicates a capacitor is faulty (like the first two), not that a capacitor is good.

Out of the thousands of faulty ones I've changed probably around 5% looked visually perfect.

On the other hand, the two on the left may well be perfectly fine as well - but even if they check perfect (on an ESR meter) they MUST be replaced, as they will fail in the VERY near future.

@OP

Looks like electrolyte stain on PCB around that cap ? Eg. leakage out
of cap. Maybe google that condition for more examples to help you
judge.

Or heat distortion of cap plastic, but one would think whole cap would
be involved.....

Regards, Dana.

Does the below bulging mean the capacitor is bad
I don't think that I have seen anything like that in many years of abusing electronic stuff!

I suggest that you carefully cut into the bulging plastic with a sharp scalpel or similar.

If it is just heat* distortion of the plastic sleeve, then carry on, it is probably OK.
If it is full of juices and gunk, you need a new capacitor.

* the 39K resistor looks as though it runs quite warm, it could be that which has affected the plastic sleeve on the capacitor.

JimB

@OP

Looks like electrolyte stain on PCB around that cap ? Eg. leakage out
of cap.

Looks like conformal coating to me, not capacitor leakage - but as I said, just cut the plastic and all will become obvious. But I'd bet money that all that's inside it is abubble of air.

* the 39K resistor looks as though it runs quite warm, it could be that which has affected the plastic sleeve on the capacitor.

Possibly, but I'm less convinced due to the distance the 'bulge' runs along the capacitor, if the resistor was at the side of the capacitor, then it would be more plausible - but weird things happen :D

JimB

Odd though, R has no discoloration, and cap with alum foil in it you would think
would distribute its own heat evenly, unless it shorted and took out the supply feeding it.

And then you have array of smd Rs just to its left, coated with something that looks evil.

Whole pic is just odd.....

Regards, Dana.

It looks fairly obviously that it's just the plastic covering on the capacitor that's been subjected to external heat and melted it somewhat.

Just a dumb question about what you said. How much heat would be needed to reverse a heat shrink wrapper? I think you'll find the plastic on a cap is a heatshrink item. not something glued on.

Just a dumb question about what you said. How much heat would be needed to reverse a heat shrink wrapper? I think you'll find the plastic on a cap is a heatshrink item. not something glued on.

I suspect ageing completely destroys it's heat-shrinking ability - but as I've said all along (as have others), he should simply cut the plastic and look :D

Seems odd to me – so much discussion yet no one has asked if the top of the cap is bulging.

Personally, I'd replace it since the unit is apart anyway. It looks like it's been distressed and the cost isn't that great.

Seems odd to me – so much discussion yet no one has asked if the top of the cap is bulging.

No real need, it's the reservoir capacitor, so only runs at 100/120Hz, and it's VERY rare for those to bulge - they do go faulty very occasionally, but when they do there's normally no physical signs.

Personally, I'd replace it since the unit is apart anyway. It looks like it's been distressed and the cost isn't that great.

I wouldn't consider it 'distressed', just purely cosmetic.

But as the board is fully functional, why replace it with a part that might not be as good?.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back