Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to find SWR using just a multimeter? The transmitter is only 500 milliwatts on 446 mHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, a multimeter doesn't measure voltage or current past a few kHz. you need a reflectometer (also known more commonly as an SWR meter). plus, at 446MHz, you will need one for the UHF part of the spectrum, a typical HF SWR meter that you would find at a Radio Shack store is not going to work because the directional coupler section is too long, and the diodes have too much junction capacitance.

If you have a proper 446Mhz "detector" or some sort, the voltages can then be read with a volmeter. That is what SWR meters/devices do, they use a detector (forward and reflected each with a diode detector/rectifier) and measure the resultant voltages and display it on the meter.
A meter itself cannot read 446Mhz, it can only read voltages which you have to produce via that "detector".

Thank you unclejed. Thank you sagor1. The link is great,
So is the suggestion of a receiver of some kind.
I am using my cherished germanium diode as a receiver at this moment. The diode is mounted across a piece of 5 Amp terminal block to provide connection to a £2:50 digital multimeter which I bought from Maplin years ago. A one meter length of bell wire acts as the antenna .
With this, I have been able to get comparative readings which have helped me repair a broken stub antenna.
I do have a proper receiver but do not know how to wire a signal strength meter into it without causing damage to the unit.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back