Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideal material for making a 12''x8'' base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

For the Tread package, I was going to make a 12 inch long base by 8 inches, which should be perfect for the base. I was trying to pick what material to pick to make the base out of.

Choices:
  • Sintra Board (Expanded PVC)
  • Wood/Plywood
  • Aluminum (lower on my choices, because of cost)
The materials listed can usually be found at a local hardware store. Any other things I should get?

Take a trip to you local Woodcraft store and see if you can find a chunk of exotic harwood that trips your trigger. There is some wild looking stuff out there and it will hold fastners much better then "wood". Keep weight in mind.

Probably wood because at least you can work with it with the tools you have. But that's me talking. I personally woudl almost always choose metal out of personal preference, but then I have to get the tools to work with it too. More $$$.

Sounds like wood is a winner. That is what I was thinking. Thanks :)

Find yourself a Metal Supermarkets, they are worldwide, their crop (offcut bins) have various pieces and thicknesses of aluminum for around 5.00 per pound. Aluminum is fairly light. Go for the utility grade (5052/3003 either will work, 5052 being a marine grade, 3003 being a ageneric grade, avoid anything stamped 6061/2024/7075 they are expensive aircraft grades. Besides the 5052/3003 will take a bend if you need to put one on the plate. The other grades will snap unless its an extremly mild bend over a greater span. Hope this stears you for the aluminum choice. Warehouse Manager Metal Supermarkets.

P.S.: Aluminum can be worked with some woodworking tools as well as metal working tools. Non magnetic, and easy on electricity. Does not rust either. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Find yourself a Metal Supermarkets, they are worldwide, their crop (offcut bins) have various pieces and thicknesses of aluminum for around 5.00 per pound. Aluminum is fairly light. Go for the utility grade (5052/3003 either will work, 5052 being a marine grade, 3003 being a ageneric grade, avoid anything stamped 6061/2024/7075 they are expensive aircraft grades. Besides the 5052/3003 will take a bend if you need to put one on the plate. The other grades will snap unless its an extremly mild bend over a greater span. Hope this stears you for the aluminum choice. Warehouse Manager Metal Supermarkets.

P.S.: Aluminum can be worked with some woodworking tools as well as metal working tools. Non magnetic, and easy on electricity. Does not rust either. Hope this helps.

Hi, and welcome to the site!

I second what 3v0 said about checking post dates. That said, we all sometimes respond to a dead thread by mistake. :)

For the benefit of later readers, though, I would add this to your suggestion of aluminium: *don't* grind it unless you know that your grinding wheel is intended for use on aluminium. You'll clog the wheel and run the risk of causing it to become unbalanced. Unbalanced grinding wheels can be bad for your health. That might not be a huge risk but I'm not interested in finding out exactly what it takes to break a grinding wheel. :)

Torben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back