Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i, j, k unit vectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

I'm little confused about the operations on unit vectors i, j, k which are in the directions of positive x, y, z axes. My confusion is about the #2 and #3. For instance, #2 says i x j = 1 but #3 says i x j = k. What's the difference? Is #2 giving information about the magnitude and #3 about the direction? Are there some other related operations which can be included here? Please help me with it. Thanks a lot.

1: i . i = 1 ; i . j = 0 ; i . k = 0

2: i x i = 0 ; i x j = 1 ; i x k = 1

3: i x j = k ; j x k = i ; k x i = j

Regards
PG

Last edited:
The result of a cross product is always a vector or a zero vector. So there must be an error (typo) in the text.
- Lines 1 and 3 are correct.
- i x i = 0 is correct.
- These are incorrect: i x j = 1 ; i x k = 1

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes something is definitely wrong with line 2. It's not even the magnitude in that last one it's totally wrong.

Hi

I'm little confused about the operations on unit vectors i, j, k which are in the directions of positive x, y, z axes. My confusion is about the #2 and #3. For instance, #2 says i x j = 1 but #3 says i x j = k. What's the difference? Is #2 giving information about the magnitude and #3 about the direction? Are there some other related operations which can be included here? Please help me with it. Thanks a lot.

2: i x i = 0 ; i x j = 1 ; i x k = 1

Regards
PG

I'm not sure what source you found this in, but I suspect the following is the intention of the author. Simply add the magnitude operator to line 2.

2: | i x i| = 0 ; | i x j| = 1 ; | i x k| = 1

Hi Steve,

Yes that's what i was thinking but then the -1 in the last result threw me a curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back