Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I hate crystals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

0mega

Well, after about 20 phone calls, i finally found a manufacturer in australia who will sell 40Mhz crystals.

So, i want to order some... only, the dude behind the desk asks me "do you want fundamental or 3rd harmonics".

So i'm like "What the f***?"

I need the crystal for a pic (18f452) .... what do i need?

CHeerZ JB

0mega said:
Well, after about 20 phone calls, i finally found a manufacturer in australia who will sell 40Mhz crystals.

So, i want to order some... only, the dude behind the desk asks me "do you want fundamental or 3rd harmonics".

So i'm like "What the f***?"

I need the crystal for a pic (18f452) .... what do i need?

CHeerZ JB

Fundamental - if you told him what it was for, I would have hoped he would have known?.

What do you mean? That it should be fundamental?

Anyway, he only manufactured crystals, i don't think he used them.

0mega said:
What do you mean? That it should be fundamental?

A 'fundamental' crystal is one that oscillates at the specified frequency (in your case 40MHz), a 3rd harmonics (overtone) crystal oscillates naturally at only 1/3 of that (in your case 13.33MHz). The oscillator circuit has to be designed to force the crystal to vibrate at three times it's fundamental frequency.

Overtone crystals are usually used for high frequencies, it's difficult to built crystals with a high fundamental frequency.

Anyway, he only manufactured crystals, i don't think he used them.

If he manufacturers crystals, he should be fully aware of their common uses - I'm sure he must get orders from lots of people wanting clock crystals.

It would be difficult to obtain 40Mhz crystals operating in fundamental mode. Even if you could, it might not oscillate at that mode.
Anyway, the PIC18F452 solves this problem by having a 4X clock multiplier circuit. This means you only need a 10Mhz crystal to operate at 40Mhz speed.

You serious? Well I never.... So I only need a 10Mhz Crystal then? Do i need to set flags on the chip or is it enabled by default?

Thanks,

John

Do i need to set flags on the chip or is it enabled by default?

Set the CONFIG1H register fuses as follows to select "HS oscillator with PLL enabled/Clock frequency = (4 x FOSC)".

Code:
 __CONFIG _CONFIG1H, _OSCS_OFF_1H&_HSPLL_OSC_1H

omega
in your case I would also say that you could use a pic that has an internal crystal which ones have the speed you need I don't know, its just that I know they make them such as the pic16f627.

psyco00 said:
omega
in your case I would also say that you could use a pic that has an internal crystal which ones have the speed you need I don't know, its just that I know they make them such as the pic16f627.

Unfortunately it's not an internal crystal oscillator, only an internal RC oscillator - but they don't seem too bad to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back