Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate the inductance of a center tapped solenoid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indula

I'm trying to drive a transformer using a ZVS power supply. The primary coil that we use here has to be wound center tapped. The output frequency depends on the inductance of the primary winding and capacitance used in the circuit.
The circuit of a ZVS power supply is as follows,

images.jpg

The transformer where the primary will be wound is as follows. It's a flyback transformer where the secondary is present and primary can be wound as we need.
s-l500.jpg

Do you have access to a LCR meter or a signal generator and a osciloscope?

Good idea. In fact I do have access to a good LCR meter. Thanks.

How should I connect the terminals of the solenoid to the meter ? I mean it does has 3 terminals unlike 2 terminal inductors. How do I measure the inductance as seen by the circuit when its connected ?

You have to make sure that none of the windings are shorted because that may disturb the reading.

Measure the inductance across the outer windings, ie do not connect the centre tap to anything.
There are online calculators to work out resonant frequency of lc networks, the resonant frequency will change somewhat due to load on the o/p.
I've used the same circuit a couple of times, its efficient and robust.

Measure the inductance across the outer windings, ie do not connect the centre tap to anything.

Wouldn't that give the overall inductance? Isn't the individual inductance the important one to the circuit? Form the center tap to one end than measure the other side from the center tap. Since only one would be conducting at a time.

You mentioned the frequency depends on the inductance of the primary and the parallel capacitance, you were right.
Seeing as the capacitance is across the entire winding then that ios our interest, the whole winding, even though 1/2 is active at anu one time, the capacitance is always present.
The cap and coil are a bell, and the trannies are clappers.
If this were a blocking oscillator or something then you'd be looking at one coil as the other would be feedback only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back