Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOLD-ON EHOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi folks
i want you guys to help me to do what is referred to as latching on /holding on of electric motor.I have read extensively on the subject but still cannot find my way.
I want to wire the relay/contactor such when the start button is pressed,the 240 VAC motor will remain on and continue to spin round after the finger is removed from start button.
Can a normal relay/contactor be used for the task ?If not , which one?How is the wiring supposed to done.

That is easy with what I consider normal relays, but you may not consider them normal. The trick is to wire DPDT relays so one pole keeps the coil energized. In this example:
reverse_cct.gif

The pole (switch) labeled A1 keeps the relay RA/2 energized even after the forward switch is released. A2 controls the motor.

John

Many standard motor controls have mechanically-interlinked start/stop buttons with a latching action.
Google "motor start/stop switch" to see some examples.

I use this circuit on my machinery.
Latching motor relay.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back