Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatChina

can anyone tell me if there is a schematic for a binary digital clock using a 555 timer cause i didnt find any using the search. :confused:

You need a lot more than a 555 timer to make a working clock. In the same way that you need a lot more to make a watch than just a quartz crystal.

A 555 timer is useless if you want to read time. You would not want to go to school a early 10 minutes after you set it a hour ago! 555 timers are horrible, but fun.

hmm i thought you could make a binary clock with 555 timers =(
You certainly can! But 5% accuracy (pretty good for a 555 circuit) has an error up to three minutes per hour.

Get a binary clock schematic off the internet, and replace the crystal oscillator with a 555 oscillator. If you don't know how to design the 555 oscillator, there are plenty of 555 tutorials on the internet.

FatChina said:
im not a good googler
Perhaps this would be a good time to learn.:mad:
See, the problem is, no one here is likely to have exactly what you need on their personal computer. We are going to have to Google it. You might as well do it yourself.
EDIT: A Google image search for "binary clock schematic" gives absolutely thrilling results.:D

Last edited:
FatChina said:
alright i found what i wanted.. but i dont know the other half

**broken link removed**

IC6???
That circuit syncs up a 555 to the AC line, then divides it by 60 to give you a 1Hz clock. If the AC line fails, the 555 will continue to oscillate at close to 60Hz, so your time is not too far off when the power comes back on. Is that what you want, or do you just want a 555 running at 1Hz?

FatChina said:
just the 555 running at 1hz
Try to get a multi-turn trim pot if you can. It will give you better settability.

Attachments

• 555 1Hz.PNG
    555 1Hz.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 222
blueroomelectronics said:
Well it IS a binary clock, the OP never said how many digits. ;)
Well, he did say
a binary clock with minutes and seconds only using a 555 timer with 12+ nodes
Not sure what the 12+ nodes is all about. Sounds like homework. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back