Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Graphical LCD help

Status
Not open for further replies.

grovesy

Hi there, I am pretty new to electronics but have experience in microcontrollers (TI) and know nothing about graphical LCD's.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to some useful URL's books, projects that will help me understand how I can go about driving a graphical LCD with a microcontroller. And ideally with a C language compile for the MC.

Many Thanks,
Chris

You don't need a book. MCC18 and PICC18 are good C compilers for the PIC.

Buy a module with a controller on-board. It would be difficult and expensive to try to get ahold of a controller and mate it with a bare LCD. Don't!

The documentation for the controller used in your device should tell you what you need to know. T6963C is a really common graphical controller. SED1330 is probably the second most common.

There are a number of code examples for driving a T6963C LCD. The C examples I have aren't of really great quality, it's not hard to write your own.

Graphics LCDs all require a negative voltage for the contrast. This is slightly tricky to generate and regulate though a PIC can do it.

It's a good idea to take this to the uC forum.

Oznog said:
Graphics LCDs all require a negative voltage for the contrast. This is slightly tricky to generate and regulate though a PIC can do it.

Most Graphical LCD modules generate the negative voltage, you only need to return it to the module together with the contrast adjustments. This adjustment is normally only done once and then forgotten. Why not use the recommended pot to do this?

TOK ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back