Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

formula for air cored inductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul ewart

Can anyone help,. i'm looking for the formula (mathematical) or otherwise, which will allow me to design the work coil of a small induction heating unit.
Power output =around 500w

Frequency = around 50KHz

The main problem, here is - how many turns, at what pitch gives how many micro henries

There are three things that affect the value of an air coil:
1. # of turns
2. Diameter
3. Length of coil

Search on google for: air coil inductance calculator. There's a ton of calculators out there.

Or if you want, you can do the forumla . . . which i dont remember :roll: someon else will

i tried to paste the topic name "formula for air cored inductors" and there was plenty of hits... :)

I have used this formula:

Inductance in microhenries = n^2(r^2/(9*r + 10*L))
Where n = number of turns
r = radius = 1/2 diameter of coil
L = length of coil
It does not matter whether you use metric or english units.

Hi Russlk,
Brilliant!!!! very many thanks,the formula is exactly what I was looking for. At least I can now make an intellegent estimate as to the topology of the coil and hence it's value. ------ You're a STAR. :D

Thank's for the idea Panic Mode, I gave it a shot, but only got bogged down in loads of irrelevent applications. --- but, a good idea nontheless!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back