Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flash uC

Status
Not open for further replies.

louislu

what is the meaning of In circuit programmable (ISP) flash memory.I found tat one of the uC is equipped with this feature.what can i do with it?is it RAM or ROM?

Thanks

FLASH memory is an alternative ROM to EEPROM. It is usually used as program memory in microcontrollers, although they may also be used for data memory. They are definitely not RAM, though they are reprogrammable.
In-circuit programmable is a feature which makes the programming of the FLASH memory very convenient. The flash memory can be programmed while the microcontroller is in its own circuit. The circuit would have to be slightly modified to enable ISP, and the programming pins are pulled out to a socket, where it may be connected to a programmer.

thanks for help...so that ISP can provide a very convenient programming way right...emm...how if i want to design something that need to store user's phone number.can i make use of this ISP flash.means writting to it n read it back....

I found a debugger on web...reads51.anyone who used this before...Is it compatible to the chip tat i gonna to use...atmel 89s51

Thanks very much

louislu said:
thanks for help...so that ISP can provide a very convenient programming way right...emm...how if i want to design something that need to store user's phone number.can i make use of this ISP flash.means writting to it n read it back....

Usually you wouldn't store data like that in program memory, you would use EEPROM data memory, many micro-controllers have internal EEPROM data memory for that very reason.

I don't use Atmel processors, but lots of PIC processors provide various amounts of data EEPROM, usually between 64 bytes to 256 bytes. I would expect the Atmel processors to be similar.

what is MCS 51 language...every microcontroller manufacturer using the same MCS51 language? thanks

YOu would need external EEPROM to store large amount of data
I havent heard of MSC51 before.. but I do know about C 51. It is a C compiler for 8051 family microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back