Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Faraday screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaibhav Birit said:
What exactly is a Faraday screen. I encountered this term in the context of a coaxial cable.

It's basically a metal screen round a circuit, it doesn't have to be solid, a mesh (of the right size) is just as effective.

Google provides lots of info (as usual!), have a look at a demonstration here .

I once remembered this simple experiment that my prof did. He placed a transistor radio into a meshed cage and reception dropped to nothing almost immediately. Stick a metal rod through the mesh (not touching the radio or mesh) and reception returned. A simple yet interesting experiment on waveguide theory.

A simple "demonstratin kit" the microwawe oven: the mesh on the door have about 2mm diameter holes, and for 2,4GHz appeared as coherent metal shield.

Sebi said:
A simple "demonstratin kit" the microwawe oven: the mesh on the door have about 2mm diameter holes, and for 2,4GHz appeared as coherent metal shield.

Even a fairly large hole (3-4cm's) 'ripped' through the mesh doesn't leak very much! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back